Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day one so far

So it's day one, and as Patrick told us in his e-mail, it's both very easy and very hard.

The workout this morning was both. I picked up my jumprope about a week before we started and started practicing, so that part was a breeze. I think I even did one set without getting tangled.

Pushups were another story altogether. I've always been well aware that I have no upper body strength. So I went into the pushups with low expectations, but a good deal of determination. (I want Emily's arms damn it!) As low as my expectations were, however, I was not expecting muscle failure on the very first day. At rep 7 on the last set I went down, and just couldn't push myself back up. I'm definitely going to be feeling that tomorrow.

The diet hasn't been difficult as much as frustrating. My mini bagel for breakfast did a good job of keeping me satisfied, but I was still pretty hungry when lunch came around. Eating just half of THAT left me...unhappy. Sort of. I was full, eventually. But only for about half an hour. And now I'm getting a headache. It's the first for PCP, but it's definitely not the last. (I get them a lot, and have many triggers. Hunger is one of them. Lack of sleep is another).

But I will prevail, and tell my body to shut up and adjust.

Go Team Army Ants!

5 comments:

  1. Kristen! You're going to be pushing up like a champ in just a few weeks! I'm excited to watch your progress—you're totally going to ROCK the PCP.

    P.S. I love your dancing photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will be surprised at how quickly your body adapts, loses toxins, and those headaches get replaced by "jumper's high"!
    Welcome to the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muscle failure is always a good thing! Even on day 1!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go, Kristen, go! you will get strong arms without even noticing.
    Welcome to PCP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your muscles failing means they'll be stronger next time! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete